Monday, August 24, 2015

Day 15 - 2015 SGCHI

2015 SGCHI

This past weekend (Aug 14-16) was completely amazing with fun and laughter.  So, every year Creation Entertainment holds a Stargate Convention in August.  They invite different actors that have appeared in Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe.  The guest list this year was really great.  Unfortunately, Amanda Tapping and Ben Browder had to cancel, but maybe next year.

It began on Friday, but I was not able to attend on Friday.  I started my Stargate weekend on Saturday, bright and early.  I joined 9 other people in a meet and greet breakfast with Dan Payne and Alex Zahara.  Unfortunately, Alex had missed his flight Friday and wouldn’t make the breakfast.  It was just Dan and the rest of us. It was great getting to know other fans and Dan.  I went into the weekend having only met Dan and Alex at the 2013 convention, and never meeting anyone else.

So, the breakfast was a great way to start the day!  It was full of laughter and stories about bears.

After it ended it was time to actually start the rest of the activities.  The way things are scheduled throughout the weekend can be a bit ragged for the actors.  There are panels for everyone, sometimes it’s more than one person on stage at a time. While the person is on stage there is usually a Q&A time where the fans can line up and ask questions. Each actor has a time scheduled for photo ops, where you can get a photo taken with the actor, then there are autographs as well.  The more popular actors have scheduled autograph times, the rest have tables set up in the halls for autographs. 

I was there mainly meet Rainbow Sun Francks, which of course I did.  I’ve known him online through Console Creatures for 3 ½ years now.  His autograph table was in the hall.  I waited until the line was down to almost no one, which took a while.  Yes, I got autographs. I actually got a couple because I was getting one for a friend as well. Later in the afternoon I had my picture taken with him as well. 

My other photo op for the weekend was with Dan and Alex.  The day was busy with different panels and being able to meet everyone there. I also met some great people who are fans.  There were several that I kept running into and we’d chat a little then go onto what we were headed to.

At the end of Saturday Rainbow had to wait for Paul McGillion to finish his autograph session. It was really nice actually.  I hung out with Rainbow at his table while he waited.  A few fans would stop by and chat with us and he would say that we’re old friends.  It was really nice to just hang out in person instead of just online.

Sunday was a second meet and greet breakfast for Dan and Alex.  This time Alex was there.  It was a lot of fun.  I got to step out of my box for a little while, which I’m sure it did me some good. This was mostly a day for the panels.  I got a couple more autographs, one for the same friend.  It was a surprise.  Yes, she was thrilled when she got it the other day.

Now, the emotional issue – I have social anxiety issues… aka I hate crowds.  I was also starting my weekend knowing I was already depressed.  It was very difficult to get out of this funk, still working on it.  I was very stressed both days.  There really is a lot more to this side of the story, but I’d rather leave it on a good note – some amazing people met, photos taken and autographs acquired.  

I’m already looking forward to next year.  I’m hoping that it’s an even better time than this year.  I really want to go all three days and even stay at the hotel.  2016 is supposed to be the last Stargate Convention, which is very sad.  Stargate has some great actors within its walls.  So sad that they’re going to shut it down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment